Thursday, March 26, 2020

COVID-19 Update: Day 10 Home Schooling Continues..


Family,

As predicted, we will be out longer than expected. Governor Baker made the decision last night to keep up out of school until May 4th. I can not say this enough, WE ARE IN GREAT SHAPE! More and more of you are logging in and doing some work. As pleased as I am to see more of you doing work, the amount of work and the time online NEEDS TO IMPROVE!! A reminder, starting Monday we are expecting to spend 1 hour each day per class that you are in. If you are having difficulty meeting this, email me and we can work something out. 
Mrs. Murray & Mr. T have been AWESOME and are working really hard to make sure things are going to be okay regarding academics. If you have not checked your email, please do ASAP. Mrs. Murray and Mr T, wrote you emails outlining how the next month is going to work. I will also attach the content of the email at the end of this blog post. Besides academics here is some other helpful information:
  1. If anyone needs anything from the Academy, I will open the School on Monday from 10 am -12 pm. If you need anything, make sure you visit
  2. If your family need food, there are some great resources. Mr. Hochman from the School Committee oversees a program in town called No-Child Goes Hungry. Please take a look at the information Here . I have worked with Mr. Canty from the Community High School with delivering food to many families. It is a great program if you are in need. 
  3. I have been putting up extra credit assignments on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. I have a few people taking advantage. I will eliminate some sections from Edgenuity for anyone that completes every assignment. They are fun and should only take you 10 minutes each to complete. 
  4. If you need anything and I mean ANYTHING we are here for you. Always keep that in mind. We are just an email away.
I will be in touch with you early next week. Please be safe and try to enjoy the nice weather.

Mr. B

A Message from Mr. Tanglis:

Hey guys

Hope all of you guys are doing well and staying at home - listen to the scientists! I just wanted to check in with everyone and make myself available if you guys need anything.  While this is definitely not the best situation for all of us we are really lucky that as long as you guys have internet access you should be able to get your work done.  I have been checking edgenuity and some of you guys have been doing a lot of work - and some have not.  People who haven't been working (you know who you are) especially seniors you really need to step it up.

Anyone who was planning to graduate this year should still be able to - do NOT use this as an excuse! The only legitimate excuse would be lack of internet or computer - and if this is an issue contact Mr. B and he will find a way to help you out.

As far as work completed here is what I am expecting you guys to complete:

Science/Sociology/Math Edgenuity courses
  • I am expecting you guys to complete 4 quizzes or 3 quizzes and 1 test per week. (very reasonable right?)
  • Keep taking notes as you normally would (use enotes if you don't have your notebook)
Blended Geometry class
  • I placed everyone in edgenuity geometry 
  • Right now you are to complete the current chapter I assigned by next Friday
  • For the chapter tests any grade 64 or higher will be accepted after 2 attempts - you don't need an 80
  • I will add the next chapter sometime next week
I would recommend working on one class each day. In other words, pick a day to work on your science or sociology and just bang it out - get through 4 sections (or 3 sections plus a Test) and you will be done for the week! Just a suggestion that I think would work for a lot of you guys. Please email me if you guys have any questions about anything - I am here to help! Miss all of you guys and please do your schoolwork!!!! 

Mr T.

A Message to Seniors from Mrs. Murray:

Hello, Seniors!

Well, I bet you didn't think you'd be finishing up school QUITE so much earlier than your underclassmen peers. In case you are living under a rock, or are on a Fortnite binge to end all Fortnite binges, or have been napping all afternoon and are just joining us (Good Evening, Nick!), Governor Baker ordered all schools in Massachusetts to stay closed through May 4th. That's right, April vacation is now like, 6 weeks long.

Not to worry, though! I know you were all thinking, "But what about that super interesting lesson on euthanasia and that poem 'Shawn' that Ms. Murray had just started teaching us...now I'll never get to see what happened to Shawn! And I have to know!!"  It's okay, you guys. I would never leave you hanging like that. We are going...to the internet! 

I am setting up a Google Classroom as we speak (err, as I type) where I will post lessons and questions and quizzes and anything else your curious little minds need to know to complete this class and reach self-actualization (hopefully! Maslow would be so proud!). I know I seem so youthful in class, but I'm actually an old lady, so bear with me while I tackle getting everything up and running. You'll get an invite from me to join that group soon. But FOR NOW, I would love for you to get your hands/ears on a copy of the book, Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman. I don't care if you are listening to an audiobook versus reading the "real" thing. Either works. But please do so by this weekend as the assignments for this book are going to start coming in hot next Monday. To get the book, you have a few options:

1. If you have a Kindle or Audible account (or if someone in your family does) and you can get the book for free, go this route. It's definitely the path of least resistance. 

2. Sign up for a free Boston Public Library eCard here: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4197886/eCard-Registration and then you can use it sign-in here: https://bpl.overdrive.com/  They have a few audiobooks available and a few eBooks available for this title. There's enough that everyone could go the eBook route if they wanted.

3. I have so many hard copies of this book at school. If this is what you prefer, email me directly, and I can bring a copy to your house. I promise I will spray it down in Lysol or something first. 

I miss you guys! Please stay safe and healthy!

Best,
Ms. Murray

A Message to all Juniors from Mrs. Murray:
Hello my junior cherubs!

So, it looks like it'll be several weeks longer before we get back to the brick and mortar PLA. In case you missed it, Governor Baker announced today that we will be out of school until at least May 4th. So we are going to switch our Blended Learning class to an online learning class via Google Classroom. Bear with me while I inevitably make some techie mistakes for the next few weeks.

First and foremost, please accept my invitation to the Google Classroom group. I'll be posting all of your classwork and materials there while we are out and communicating primarily via email. I have already uploaded all of our materials from our "This is America" lesson, and we will jump off from there with new assignments starting Monday. Check in early and often. I'll be putting up new assignments every couple of days, and I don't want you to miss anything. There's an assignment up already that you can start doing asap if you'd like! It isn't technically due until Wednesday because we aren't technically "starting" online until Monday, but head over and check it out.  It'd be great if you could get an online discussion happening (you should be able to comment on each other's submissions).

Miss you guys! I hope everyone is doing okay stuck at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment