Thursday, April 9, 2020

COVID-19 Update: Week 4 is over, Pep Talk from Mr. B


Families,
I hope everyone is not going stir crazy! This has been tough to say the least. We have completed 4 weeks and I have a few things I would like to address. 
The Massachusetts Department of Education came out with a document title "Remote Learning Recommendations"   If you have not done so, please read. If you do not want to read the whole document, I will share what I believe is the most important recommendation "We recommend that districts support students to engage in meaningful and productive learning for approximately half the length of a regular school day. We expect this learning to take place via a combination of educator-directed learning and student self-directed learning". Basically, the state wants the students to spend about 4 hours per day doing school work. It is good to see that students are logging in and doing some work. However, STUDENTS ARE NOT COMING CLOSE TO THIS!  Where I see this being an immediate problem will be with some of our seniors. I will be upfront and honest, if a senior does not complete the required work they will risk having to go to summer school and not graduating! 

I understand everyone is inconvenienced by this situation, including myself and my teachers. I have 2 children myself in elementary school and my wife ( whom is still working from home) and I are spending 6-7 hours a day teaching them, balancing our jobs, and  trying to stay sane! Believe me, I get it, this is not ideal for anyone. However, the students need to make a better effort going forward or they may risk paying a price at the end of this. Parents, I know you are stressed to the max, but I really need you to please check on your child. I have called many of you several times. Please reach out to me if you need help connecting with your child in any way. Lets work as a team to make sure we get through this together. Tomorrow is Good Friday and students are not required to work. Please, enjoy the weekend. Happy Passover or Easter to all of you that celebrate. Again, I am here to help anyone that may be in need, just reach out. Again, we need a better effort from our kids next week.

Stay Safe.
Mr. B

No comments:

Post a Comment